Friday, June 19, 2015

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen Review

Annabel Greene is the girl who lives in the glass house. From the outside, everything looks perfect but even glass hides some bits of what you think you are seeing. After spending a summer isolated and alone Annabel starts the school year with many secrets hanging around her. Then she meets Owen, someone she never thought she would connect with and with his help she discovers who she really is.

Holy crap. I did not expect this book to be as real as it was. When I picked up this book my thoughts were, oh this will be a fun light read but oh was I wrong. This book touched on things like eating disorders and rape and it did a damn good job at it. It was so real and raw it really took me by surprise.

I like Dessen's writing style. It is easy to read and connect with the characters and she developed ALL the characters in this book. Not just Annabel, but Whitney, Kirsten and Owen all had some major character development and I loved it. I loved that she didn't just focus on Annabel and Owen. Dessen took us into the lives of Whitney and Kirsten who was living in a different state but still contributed to the story. I loved that. I loved all the different aspects playing into this book.
Overall I give this book 4/5 stars. It was a good read, real and really set a mood for the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment