Friday, July 3, 2015

Has love lost it's meaning?

I've been thinking a lot recently about the word love. I think that it has lost it's meaning and is being used too casually now. Back when our parents and grandparents were young the word love was used for your family members and for someone you care about. It was a powerful word that means a lot of a lot of people. But I think that it has lost it's power in this day and age.

Couples now are saying love two days into dating. Some couples as young as 12 or 13 who are "dating" aka holding hands in the hallway are saying that they love each other and they barely know each other. I know people who say "love you!" to their boyfriends and girlfriends just so casually like it means nothing and that makes me sad.

I am the type of person who will not say I Love You to someone unless I mean it because it isn't something you can take back. I don't think you can be in love with someone a week into dating. You can lust them, but that is something very different. I think you really need to know someone on a different level to REALLY love them. And not like a friend saying love you or you mom saying love you. I mean like a deep, infatuating love. You don't just love this person, you are IN love with this person.

I think saying I love you and I'm in love with you mean two different things. I think saying I love you is saying I trust you, I like every part of you, you're great. But saying I am in love with you is like saying every part of your body loves every single thing about them. That you are just overcome with so much feeling and you are absolutely infatuated with them.

It makes me sad that the word love is used so casually and loosely and has lost it's meaning. I mean it still has meaning to me but a lot of people, especially young people, really just don't get it. And that makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment